The Grand Üçel Hotel
Out & AboutOut_and_About.htmlOut_and_About.htmlshapeimage_3_link_0
Contact UsContact_Us.htmlContact_Us.htmlshapeimage_4_link_0

General Information about Weddings in Turkey

You can get married just about anywhere in Turkey i.e. Hotel, beach or yacht; provided it isn’t a religious site or place of cultural heritage. However you may be able to acquire a permit subject to a fee, for the use of certain historical sites.

Civil Ceremony

Only Civil Ceremonies are legally recognised in Turkey. They will normally be performed by the local Registrar and last approximately 5 to 10 minutes. The ceremony will be conducted in Turkish. If neither marrying parties can speak Turkish you should arrange for an interpreter to be present throughout the ceremony.
For a list of recognised local Turkish interpreters contact the British Embassy, Turkey. 


You will need two witnesses to be present during the wedding ceremony, both of whom are not immediate family members.

Religious Ceremony

Religious ceremony of any denomination can be performed ONLY once a Civil Ceremony has been performed. A Religious Ceremony alone is not legally binding.
Therefore couples may prefer to get married in the UK first and then have a blessing on their arrival to Turkey.

Residency Stay

There is no minimum residency stay required for getting married in Turkey. However you should allow between 3-4 days to complete all the necessary paperwork, depending on where you wish to get married in Turkey.

Certificate of No Impediment

First both marrying parties must obtain a Certificate of No Impediment from their local Register Office in the UK. Please ensure you have with you your Basic Documentation on making your application. This takes approximately 21 days, during which time banns will be published in the register officer. Provided there is no problems arising you will be given a Certificate of No Impediment. You must then send off the certificate to either of the following British Consulate General based in Izmir or Istanbul, or the British vice-Consulate in Antalya or the British Embassy in Ankara, with regards to marrying in Turkey so that your Certificate of No Impediment can be translated into Turkish.
The Certificate of No Impediment, which is obtained in England, has no validity restriction unlike that issued by register offices in Scotland. If the certificate was obtained in Scotland it must be used within 3 months of its date of issue and should be presented to a British Mission in Turkey before the expiry date. The Certificate of No Impediment will still need to be translated into Turkish.

In addition British Nationals are required to make a sworn Declaration of their eligibility to marry. This procedure is carried out in Turkish, you should arrange for an interpreter to be present. If you are using a wedding planner they may offer to organise an interpreter to be present for a fee.
If however you have not been issued with a Certificate of No Impediment in the UK, then you will need to be resident in Turkey for 21 days during which time a notice of your intention to marry will be posted in the Consulate or Embassy building. On the 22nd day provided there are no complications with your application you will be issued with a Certificate of No Impediment in the Turkish language. You should visit the nearest British Consulate Office, on your arrival into Turkey, for further guidance on how to acquire the certificate.
The Certificate of No Impediment along with other relevant paperwork will need to be legalised by the Minister of Foreign Affairs in the local Governor Office in Turkey. Contact the Consulate of Embassy for further information regarding directions on how to get there.
You will then need to apply in person to the local marriage office in Turkey, giving notice of your intention to marry. Each application costs £115 per person, which needs to be paid in Turkish Lira at the current Consular rate of exchange. Ensure you have all your Basic Documentation with you, as they will be needed to complete the necessary forms. On completion you will be able to fix a date for your wedding ceremony.
Many wedding planners offer to help with the formal legalities as part of their wedding package including helping to make arrangements for your medical examination.

Medical Examination

You will be required under Turkish Civil Law, to have a medical examination if you intend to get marry. The medical examination will be subject to a fee, which must be paid in Turkish Lira. You may be also be asked to take a blood test depending on which region of Turkey you wish to marry. You should attend the examination with someone who speaks Turkish so they can interpreter for you.
If you have a wedding planner they could help organise an interpreter for you, for a fee. For further details regarding the medical examination please contact the Turkish Marriage Office.

Basic Documentation

If you intend to marry in Turkey you will need the following documentation:

  1. A full birth certificate

  2. A valid passport

  3. A valid tourist visa to enter Turkey. This can be obtained at the port of entry in to Turkey, for a fee

  4. If divorced, a Decree of Absolute

  5. If widowed a spouses death certificate, previous marriage certificate

  6. Written consent from your parents or guardians (if either of you are under 18 years of age).

  7. If you have changed your name by Deed Poll or you were adopted, proof of this needs to be presented

Marriage Certificate

Once the ceremony has been performed you will be issued with a Marriage Certificate and a marriage book.

Depositing you Marriage Certificate

Although your marriage in Turkey is legally binding you will not be able to register it back in the UK. However you can still contact the nearest Turkish Consulate or Embassy to make arrangement to have your marriage certificate translated into English and legalised. The document can then be forwarded to the General Registrar Office in the UK.

Your marriage certificate will be deposited for their records, and consequently your original marriage certificate will not be returned to you. This in no way makes your marriage invalid. Should you both need your marriage certificate in the future the General Register Office can issue you with a certificate, should the need arise.

For further information:

Embassy of Turkey, in London ,

Rutland LodgeRutland Gardens,

Phone: 020 7591 6900



Foreign and Commonwealth Office, London

Phone: 0207 270 1500

British Embassy, Turkey

Marriage of British Nationals in Turkey

General Register Office


Whilst every effort to ensure that the above information is correct, it may be subject to change at any time. Please always check with the official authorities before proceeding. If you notice some outdated information please

Wedding Information